St. George's Anglican Church St. Paul's Anglican Church
Battleford, Saskatchewan North Battleford, Saskatchewan
ST. PAUL'S ANGLICAN CHURCH - HISTORY
Appended May. 3, 2013
1905 - 1909
|Our History starts in July of 1905, when the first Church service was held in the new settlement of North Battleford, just seven weeks after the first construction train pulled into town. The first services were conducted by the Reverend David Currie in Mr. Wright's store and Mr. Fraser's shack on Main Street(now 100th street). By September of 1905, the congregation had grown so rapidly that a building committee was formed. The committee was composed of Mr. Pettypiece, who would become the first incumbent’s Warden, and Messrs. Wilson, Snow and Fraser. The first service was held in the new church that measured 14 by 18 feet, with square windows, unpainted walls and roof, and no foundation on the second Sunday of December 1905.|
|The church organ was rented until May 20, 1907. The organist was Mrs. Bailey, playing on a rented organ. The church was crowded; the collection was twenty dollars; and, the preacher was the Reverend David Currie. The first load of wood to heat the church came from the bush on the nearby homestead of Mr. H. Basil Thomas, a veteran of the Boer War. The first recorded baptism in the new church was John May, son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles May on December 31, 1905. The earliest marriages include Ernest Warren Marshall and Gwendoline Rebitt on February 22, 1906 and Edward Wintersgill and Esther Jane Baker, both of Baljennie on October 6, 1906. Charles Tubb and Bertha Thorne were married in November 1908. The first recorded funerals C.S. Fraser in August of 1905 and Thomas Batchelor, age 64, August 7, 1906. Reverend Currie Resigned in October of 1907 and was replaced by the Reverend A. J. Oakley.|
At your left - is the front cover of a detailed book that was prepared at the time of St. Paul's 100th Anniversary by the St. Paul's History Book Committee.
This book contains all kinds of information about the church, its members, all the ministers and a pile of photographs, letters and awards.
If you would like to have a copy of this 135 page
book, please Phone the church office
at (306)445-4155 OR send us an e-mail...
E-mail the church office
Through the work of the Ladies Auxilary, a bell was installed and rang for the first time on Easter Sunday 1910.
St. Paul's in 1909
Old Church used as Parish Hall
St. Paul's in 1912
|Scouting began in North Battleford in 1911 and the Troop was attached to St. Paul's. A former church member H.F. Boyce, created the Boy Scout badge for Saskatchewan.|
Senior Choir 1913
In the winter of 1912, a pipe organ was installed, a gift from Mr. and Mrs. Arnold and her sister Miss Ward.
A $2000.00 bequest to the sisters from a brother in England made this gift possible. The organ built by the Warren Church Organ Company was played for the first time in public February 16, 1913 by Mr. Geoffrey Brichta. As North Battleford had also been growing, the bell at St. Paul's rang out at 12:00 noon of April 30, 1913, proclaiming North Battleford's new status as a city.
|Scout troop from 1913. Source: The North Battleford Archives. The picture was given them by Mrs. Robert Dawson and it is believed that her brothers George Hope and John Hope are in the group. Reverend R.S. Lound is on the left.|
|St. Paul's Church 1914.||A new rectory was built north of the church and was occupied by October 1918 by Reverend and Mrs. Wrenshall. History records reveal that in 1921 Mr. Alfred Sharp and Tom Cogland set up a tent at the Fair Grounds and served as many as 500 meals, twice daily to raise funds for the church. The following year a dining hall was built and equipped with all necessities by the men of the congregation after their regular working hours. It is unknown weather this was a separate structure or weather it was the dining hall which was located under the bleachers by the race track which was used until 1952, at which time it was replaced by a free-standing dining hall (still by the racetrack!).|
This pulpit was dedicated at a special service in November 1929. The beautifully carved oak pulpit was dedicated to the glory of God and in honor of the men of St. Paul's who gave their lives in the cause of freedom during the years 1914 to 1918.|
This service was attended by the Boy Scouts, the Girl Guides, the Brownies, a contingent of Veterans glowing with medals and the Women's Auxiliary of the Canadian Legion. The Rector, Canon I. J. Jones as a Veteran of the Great War, conducted the service. At the end of the service, Mrs. W. Warters ascended the steps of the pulpit to carry out the unveiling. The pulpit was covered with a large Union Jack which she removed to unveil its beauty.
In September 1933, Canon Jones suffered with heart problems. However due to continued ill health, he resigned as of August 31, 1935.
January 27, 1929 was a happy occasion, Bishop Lloyd attended St. Paul's to carry out the consecration of the parish church.
1919 - 1935
At that same service, the title of Honorary Canon was conferred upon Reverend Ifor J. Jones(left) who ministered from 1919 to 1935.
Reverend Robert Willis,(right) his wife Mary and son Alan moved from Saskatoon to North Battleford in October 1935.
His induction service was held November 8, 1935. Reverend Willis' first years in North Battleford were during the Great Depression of the 1930's. There was much unemployment and poverty. People frequently knocked on the rectory door during the night looking for a place to stay or asking for help.
1935 - 1949
1949 - 1956
|Reverend Percy Jordan began his ministry at St. Paul's on February 24, 1949. He and his wife Gretchen, and their young family Dee, David and Mary arrived in North Battleford following their incumbency at St. George's in Sasktatoon. During his years here he was "Chaplain to the militia units of North Battleford, the Air Cadets, Sea Cadets, and the North Battleford Branch and Saskatchewan Hospital branches of the Canadian Legion. He was active in the care of patients at the Saskatchewan Hospital and Notre Dame Hospital. With the help of lay readers as Rural Dean he helped to keep congregations active at Denholm, Lilac, Whitewood Lake, Baljennie and other points, as well as helping during the absence of ministers at Maymont, Paynton, Meota, Langmeade, Bresaylor, Battleford, Prongua and Cut Knife.|
1957 - 1968
The McGregor family arrived at St. Paul's Rectory on October 7, 1957. He stated "that it was an exiting place to come to after living in the wild town of Meadow Lake for two years. One of my first memories is of going into the old parish hall to sit on the old wooden chairs for choir practice with Mrs. Cutbush. |
Wednesday, October 16, 1957, Reverend William McGregor was inducted as Rector of St. Paul's by the Right Reverend S.C. Steer, Bishop of Saskatoon. The sermon at the induction service was given by the Very Reverend S.A.R. Wood, Dean of St. John's Cathedral, Saskatoon. Reverend William McGregor came from Meadow Lake with his wife Dorothy and their five children, Wenonah, Bill, Dorothy, Rob, and Ailsa.
1968 - 1974
Reverend Douglas Blackwell was inducted into St. Paul's October 16, 1968. In his first message through the pages of the Epistle, November 1968 edition he noted the following.|
The 1960's were marked by bewildering social change. The teenage explosion brought a questioning of traditional values. Changes in dress codes and hair styles, the advent of punk rock, Beatlemania, and transistor radios were set in the context of Marshall McLuhan's global village, the first man on the moon, the Vietnam War, student riots, and the rise of terrorism. His first rector's report for the year 1969, also recognized that "There is not an established institution in our society today that stands on as firm a base as it did yesterday - including the institutional Church!!" He saw this period as “an opportunity to re-define our purposes and our goals.. (and to recognize) a new call from God to greater sensitivity, awareness, and dedication.”
PHOTO - Les Hainworth in his office|
A sign posted upon the nursery door indicated...
“We shall not sleep, but we shall All be changed.” Reverend Blackwell shared a sense of humor with his “office boy”, church secretary Les Hainworth, and it is uncertain to which of them this should be attributed.
1974 - 1989
Reverend Don Wootten and his wife Peggy came to North Battleford in July of 1974, bringing with them their four childeren: Johanna (13), Elizabeth (11), Mark (7), and Martin (3) along with their St. Bernard, Turuk (3).|
Reverend Wootten was formerly incumbent of the parish of Macklin and had, some years prior, served for eight years in the Indian mission of Fort McPherson, North West Territories. Reverend Wootten was inducted by Right Reverend D.A. Ford, Bishop of Saskatoon on Friday, September 13th, 1974. Six years later, in April 1980, the same Bishop Ford gave him the honorary title of Canon. Several Traditions began during Reverend Don and Peggy Wootten's years in St. Paul's. Most notable, in terms of community outreach, was the commencement of the Lenten Lunches in 1975.
In keeping with the Gothic style of the church, a 1700 square foot addition was designed by local architect Murry M. Cheetham and built by Soule Construction in 1979. The $70,000.00 addition houses offices, nursery and a narthex graced by four stained glass windows.
Retreats continued to be conducted from 1979 to 1989 with Reverend Brian Bostock Bracebridge, Ontario (1979), Reverend Marney Patterson (1980), Father Ivan Futter, International Order of St. Luke (1983), Reverend Tony Bowman (1985), Sister Angie from Albany, New York (1985), Brian Stiller (1987), and the Right Reverend Desmond Hunt, retired Suffragan Bishop from the Toronto area (1989)
Mariam Fletcher, a faithful member of St. Paul’s congregation, spent many years travelling to Mexico in the winter months to teach English to boys at Internado San Miguel. She travelled by car and took her own books and teaching supplies. Parishioners of St. Paul’s helped these travels both financially and with payer for they were a very important part of Miss Fletcher’s life.
The Wootten’s celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary in 1979. Their daughter, Johanna, was married in 1983 to Lyle Peters of North Battleford. Canon Wootten wore many hats on that occasion since he was not only the father of the bride, and had the honour of walking his daughter down the aisle, but he was also officiant with the assistance of Reverend Roy Parker of Quill Lake, a former parishioner.
St. Paul’s 75th anniversary in 1980 included many celebrations but a permanent reminder was the addition to the church building. The proposal and first floor plan was drawn up in May 1977 and the addition was completed in 1979. It included new offices, narthex, and the nursery, known as the Jim Gillies room. These were dedicated in January of 1980. (The narthex has been appreciated by wedding parties and, most particularly St. Paul’s choir, which formerly had to line up outside, sometimes in the rain.
In 1987 the old dinning hall at the exhibition grounds was closed and the operation moved to a new booth without a place for patrons to sit down to eat their meal. There were Sunday school picnics at Meota, winter “Sno-Ball” at Howard and Mary Mattila’s farm and family fun fairs. Suppers were held for the Servers Guild and occasionally the Junior Choir.
In 1988, the Chancel Guild celebrated its 50th anniversary. The celebration included a large cake and, more importantly, the presentation of a plaque, by chancel president Mrs. Kathleen Wooden, to Mrs. Bessie Rogers. Mrs. Rogers was the only founding member still active in the Guild in 1988 and her daughter June Halewich, grandchildren and great-grandchildren are still members of this congregation.
Les Hainworth, who with his family had been a parishioner at St. Paul’s since 1947, was the volunteer in the office when Canon Wootten arrived in 1974. He humorously referred to himself as “Office Boy” and could be seen in the office, sometimes with his feet up on the desk, quietly puffing away at his beloved pipe. Les brought good humour and common sense to the office scene until he retired in 1987 after 18 years of dedicated service. His duties were assumed by Susan Smith, a granddaughter of Charles and Bertha Tubb, one of the original families at St. Paul’s. Susan and her children were third and fourth generation members of this congregation. Susan and family moved in 1988 at which time vestry decided the “Office Boy” position should become a permanent and paid post. At this time Kathy Adams was hired. She is now the present Administrative Assistant and works five mornings a week.
Marj Tatchell, the organist in 1974, resigned temporarily in 1977. Doug Hazen took over until 1979 when Mrs. Tatchell again filled in where needed. Barry Bett was hired as organist in 1980 with Mrs. Pat Hickley taking up the duties of Choir Director and the two worked together in this ministry until spring of 1987. Glenn Goodman was hired in September of 1987 and was the organist at the time of Canon Wootten’s resignation.
Kathy Adams: Starting in 1988, Kathy evolved from a volunteer position previously held by Les Hainworth to the position of church administrator
a position she held until she retired in December of 2012.
April 8th - St. Paul’s upper hall was the setting for High Tea to celebrate her 24 years of service as parish administrator. Kathy was seated at a head table with her husband Jim, her mother Rhianon Dolby, daughter Sabrina and grandson Nicholas. A silver tea service was presided over by Cathy Baerg and Debbie Norman and were assisted by tea servers, Barb, Mackenzie, Nolan and Piper Mutch. Reverend Ron Baerg and wife Cathy spoke briefly of their appreciation for the friendship and expertise Kathy provided when they came to the parish in 1997. Mary Mattila showed a powerpoint presentation of highlights from Kathy’s tenure as parish administrator.
In 1989, Canon Wootten accepted a call to Wetaskawin, Alberta. His last service as rector of St. Paul’s was June 4, 1989. He summed up his mission at St. Paul’s by saying, “it was to comfort the afflicted and to afflict the comfortable.” His final message was for the people at St. Paul’s to love one another, be loyal to their church and to be faithful whether they agreed with everything or not. Don Wootten, who was appointed and Archdeacon in 1995, is now retired and he and his wife Peggy make their home in Salmon Arm, British Columbia.
The Wootten’s oldest son Mark, passed away while they were living in North Battleford. A Sedalia, which was placed in the sanctuary for the use of the servers, was dedicated on April 25, 1982 to the memory of Mark Thomas Frederick McPherson Wootten. A part of them and their ministry among the congregation of St. Paul’s remains with us still.
1989 - 1995
Reverend Donald Cochran and his wife Louise came to us from Holy Trinity in Saskatoon with a strong background in parish outreach and a wealth of experience in working with the poor and disadvantaged. The September 13th issue of the News Optimist quoted Don, “The only time the church has ever grown is when it remembered the poor...when it forgets who it is there to serve, it shrivels and dies.” But he also added, |
“it is important for people to have fun in the church...the good news is for everyone.”
At the Reverend Cochran’s induction service November 17th Reverend Doctor Adam Cuthand gave the sermon exhorting the congregation to become praying people and to foster concern
for one another.
1996 - 1997
Reverend Don Byrt and his wife Donna came to this parish in January 1996 from the Parkland parish which included Lashburn, Maidstone, Paynton and Forest Bank, Saskatchewan.
Reverend Byrt was appointed by Bishop Tom Morgan as an interim minister, for a term of not less than 18 months and not more than 2-1/2 years, to promote healing and reconciliation within the parish of St. Paul’s.|
Reverend Byrt, in his first report at the annual meeting stated: “In this church, at this time, we have the opportunity to be ambassadors who speak a message of hope to the broken world around us: ‘There is a God among us, and His work is the healing of your hurt.’ I invite every one of you to enter this work of God among us...”
1997 - 2006
A new chapter of St. Paul’s began on a warm summer evening in July 1997, Reverend Ron Baerg, his wife Cathy and twelve and a half year old Christopher parked their U-Haul truck and their car outside St. Paul’s rectory where they met parishioners who were ready to help them move in.
Ron Baerg had been ordained to the deaconate on May 25, 1997 in Hamilton Ontario, just prior to coming to St. Paul’s.
On Sunday evening, September 14th, our congregation, and clergy of the diocese and the city attended the induction of Reverend Ron Baerg, deacon, as rector of St. Paul’s.
The Right Reverend Tom Morgan, Bishop of the Diocese of Saskatoon, led the service and presented Reverend Baerg with
the Covenant of Ministry. As with rectors before him, he was presented with the traditional symbols of his pastorate, and of course, the keys to the church.
The year 2000 was the 95th anniversary of St. Paul's. Events marking this milestone began with a service of thanksgiving led by the Right Reverend Tom Morgan reminding us that the "church is more than just a building, more than just a congregation. The church is a place to 'rehearse what we do in the rest of the week'". Following the service, he dedicated the new archival cabinet, built by local craftsman George Haegebaert. The celebrations also included an anniversary concert with singer Henri Loiselle and former organist Glenn Goodman.
The Alpha Program was initiated at St. Paul's in 2000. Two sessions were held, spring and fall, each including a ten week practical introduction to the Christian faith as well as a weekend retreat and celebration supper. Alpha stands for Anyone can come; Learning and laughter; Pasta or other food; Help one another; Ask anything.
A Lenton event called "Proclamation 2000" brought special meaning to all as people took part in a fourteen hour a day, 10 day complete reading of the Bible. Participants came from all denominations in the area and a total of 140 hours of reading took place in English, French, High German, Low German, Greek, Cree, Dutch, Aafrikaan, Tamel and Filipino. The event ended with a service of paraise on Sunday Evening.
The ceiling of the kitchen was lowered to accommodate expansion of the "Upper Room". This was named "The Irene Webb Room" in memory of a longtime member of the parish. Bessie Rogers was also remembered when the Anglicn Church Women officially named the updated kitchen "Bessies's Kitchen", celebrating the term by which it had been affectionately known for years. A plaque may be seen over the door carved by Ernie Dennis, a talented wood-worker.
Operation Christmas Child, a branch of Samaritan's Purse, was embraced by the congregation in 2001. Parishioners fill shoeboxes each Christmas with a selection of small gifts for needy children around the world. In May 2004, we held a "Shoebox Banquet" to learn more about this cause and raised enough money to provide a lifetime of water for appoximately six families.
Varied activities such as Ladies Night Out, Ice Cream Socials, Midford in May, the serving of Simnel Cake on Mothering Sunday, and St. Patrick's Day bowling parties continue to be enjoyed by all. Much needed improvements were made to the Rectory in 2001. New doors and windows were installed , and thanks to a bequest from the estate of Jack Amous and the carpentry skills of Reverend Ron Baerg, a garage was added.
Reverend Ron Baerg took a four month educational leave in 2002 to work on his Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) dissertation. Many gifts continue to recall those parishioners who have been part of our lives. New hymnals were given in memory of Laurence Tatchell and Evelyn Ulmer, both of whom had seen the choir and congregation through 'the old blue,' 'the new red,' and now the 'new blue' hymn book. Olive and Monty Manning presented the church with a new chalice "in memory of six generations of Mannings who have been part of the life of St. Paul's". New front doors in memory of Bud Ham; a new side door and church sign in memory of Dolly Crook; a chalice and paten in memory of Phyllis Crook; and new Advent hangings in memory of Isabel and Robert Dawson continue to enhance our worship surroundings.
Bishop Tom Morgan's retirement at the end of 2003 led to the need for an Electorial Synod which was held in November, resulting in the call to Rodney Andrews from British Columbia to head our diocese. Bishop Morgan visited St. Paul's for a farewell event in October.
At the annual meeting in February 2004, a committee was struck to formulate plans to celebrate the 100th anniversary of St. Paul's in 2005. The vestry and congregation also gave approval for the compiling of a history of our 100 years. Later in February we were visited by our newly consecrated bishop, the Right Reverend Rodney Andrews, who attended one of the Lenten Lunches and joined parishioners afterwards for an informal get-together.
In May 2004, after much attention to protocol, St. Paul’s welcomed Her Royal Highness Princes Anne, the Prince Royal. Her Royal Highness was in Saskatchewan to visit her regiment, the Royal Regina Rifles. While here, the princess stopped at St. Paul’s to see our famous "Christ the King" window and spoke with two local veterans who had been stationed at the base. She also went on a walk-about to visit war brides and veterans at the Cenotaph located behind St. Paul’s Church.
Another noteworthy visitor to St. Paul’s that year was the honourable Lynda Haverstock, the Lieutenant Governor of Saskatchewan, who attended a service at St. Paul’s for St. John’s Ambulance.
In September 2004, St. Paul’s reluctantly accepted the resignation of Marj Tatchell from her position as organist and choir director. A retirement tea was held in her honour later in the year. Marj and her family have become synonymous with music at St. Paul’s over several generations and while the church continues to search for another organist, it is evident to us all that an era has ended.
On Christmas Eve 2004, for the first time in St. Paul’s history, there was only one Christmas service. Over time, trends have changed and the earlier family service became more popular with parishioners.
2005, our 100th anniversary year, began with a celebration service led by Bishop Rodney Andrews of Saskatoon on the Feast of St. Paul’s. After the service, Bishop Andrews dedicated the newly installed stained glass window given in memory of Bill and Ruth Hubert. The central theme of the window, the Tree of Life described in Genesis, is providing the theme for other events throughout the year.
As we prepare for July 2nd and 3rd our One Hundredth Anniversary weekend, many parishioners and friends are working very hard to make it a memorable event.
On August 28, 2005, the congregations of St. George’s and St. Paul’s met to consider their future. A letter written by St. George’s member in May to St. Paul’s asked that they consider a joint future for the two parishes. St. Paul’s held its congregational meeting August 28th and after a potluck meal the meeting was called to order. Matters concerning worship patterns, leadership, worship service times, finances and lay readers were discussed. A vote in favour of each of those motions was unanimous. Both parishes agreed that this new arrangement would take place by November 1st, 2005.
Sunday, September 10th, a large crowd comprised of St. George’s and St. Paul’s congregation gathered at St. Paul’s for Reverend Ron’s last service. Following the service the parish hall was packed with well-wishers who gathered for a potluck lunch highlighted by Reiny Bischler’s famous barbecued beef, boar and elk.
Gail Morgan, Rector’s Warden of St. Paul’s, chaired the program which followed the lunch. A power point presentation by Mary Mattila and Linda Nelson detailed highlights of Ron, Cathy and Christopher’s years here. Numerous other presentations followed, then Ron spoke briefly, yieding the last word to Cathy who expressed deep and heartfelt thanks to all. The program ended with a payer by Ron Dewald.
2006 - 2007
Canon Wilson Tibbo arrive to act as an interim minister until such time as a new minister answers the call of the parochial committee. He led his first service on Sunday, October 1st, 2006, at St. Paul's Church. He and his wife Lillian were greeted with warmth by the parishioners of both St. George's and St. Paul's at a luncheon in the upper hall after the service. Reverend Tibbo a vibrant 76-year young retiree, comes from Conception Bay South in Newfoundland. He studied at Queen's college, St. John's, Newfoundland and served in Labrador after ordination. A call from Stanley Steer, Bishop of Saskatoon,|
brought him to Watrous in 1967, where he served for three years, and then moved to Weyburn for another four years.
A Tribute to Marj Tatchell.
Marjorie Daphne Pratt was born in North Battleford September 23, 1925. Since that day she has been a resident of the Battlefords.
Marjorie came from a musically gifted family and was the eldest of three children, including her brother Douglas and sister Sheila.
In 1931 she began her schooling at King Street School and started taking piano and voice lessons with her brother from Phoebe Wesson (Cutbush) and she accompanied Mrs Wesson's singing pupils. Marjorie fondly tells the story of her dad putting a large penny on the piano and telling her that it would be hers if she started lessons. That was the start to the musical history of Marjorie Tatchel, also known as a "legend in her time."
Marjorie joined the Junior Choir at St. Paul's in 1933 and this was the beginning of a lifelong involvement with the choir and the church. She carried on this commitment for a number of years and even added to it by playing the piano and organ for all of the St. Paul's choirs during the evenings and weekends. All of this was accomplished while she was attending high school at the North Battleford Collegiate Institute.
In 1948, Marjorie married her childhood sweetheart, Laurence Tatchell. Laurence was a devoted choir member and he and Marjorie together shared their lifelong passion for the church and music.
From 1963 to the 1980's Marjorie accompanied many children including her own in the North Battleford City Kinsmen Band and was also the official accompanist for the Battlefords Music Festival. She helped children with their solo competitions in the Music Festival and the Moose Jaw International Band Festival.
Upon the retirement of Phoebe Cutbush in 1968, Marjorie took on the duties of choir director for the Junior, Intermediate and Senior choirs. She always directed the choirs at St. Paul's with a supportive and encouraging attitude. She would often take on the task of putting together wonderful Christmas services that included lessons and carols that everyone enjoyed.
Over the years, Marjorie delighted audiences with her proficiency on the piano as she accompanied her brother, sister, father, choir members, pupils and guests in their vocal performances. On one memorable occasion, world-renowned singer Jan Rubes came to the Battlefords to put on a workshop sponsored by the Allied Arts Council. Later, at the concert where Marjorie accopanied him on the piano, he was reported to have commented that she could have played the piano anywhere in the world.
During the Music Festival's 50th Anniversary Concert, a highlight for Marjorie was the singing performances by the Pratt family along with her husband Laurence, as they performed several numbers as part of the gala evening's program.
In 1964 Marjorie was officially honored by the Music Festival Committee for her tireless commitments. The North Battleford Rotary Club recognized Marjorie for her musical contributions to the community when it presented her with its prestigious Integrity Award in 1998.
Marjorie not only gave her life and talent to the church, but to the community of the Battlefords as well. She also lent her musical abilities to Macdonald Funeral Home for over 50 years, as well as to numerous weddings and concerts until her retirement in 2005. That same year, she was awarded the distinction of Organist Emaretus in recognition of her outstanding service to the musical ministry of the church.
Marjorie continued to support musical concerts and events as often as possible within the community as she offered her praise and encouragement to participants.
Marjorie was surrounded by her loving family of five children, eleven grandchildren, two great grandchildren, one brother, one sister and numerous nieces and nephews.
Marjorie Tatchell was inducted into the Wall of Fame on May 3rd, 2008.
On October 18th 2010 Marjorie left us to be with her Heavenly Father and she will surely hear those words, Well done, thou good and faithful servant.
The Baja Mission Project, June 2nd to 14th, 2012
Ivan Katzell and Gordon Yarde, along with 26 others, went on a mission to build two houses in Vicente Guerro, Mexico. The terrain to Vincente was cactus and scrub bush fences, but no cattle and absolutely no water ponds, creeks or rivers.
The first house to be built was for a family of four. Two daughter, Mom and Dad. They were fortunate to receive a higher weekly wage of $75 each. The second family was a young mother and her three children. Her seven year old son attended school, a small two room building. Her six year old son had suffered a tragedy having one foot crushed by a water truck and his leg was amputated above the knee. She also had a five year old girl.
Work proceeded mostly in the mornings as it got very hot in the afternoon. The houses were only 20x22 feet with one wall down the middle. Both families chose their own color of paint, one yellow and the other turquoise. The homes were not insulated and there were no furnaces or other means of heat.
Once the houses were built, several members went shopping for two 4-burner propane stovetops, a table with chairs, box spring and mattresses and many dry food product. There is no electricity.
Both Ivan and Gordon commented that, in the end, they both felt a greater closeness to God and ambitions to serving God and to help to fulfill God's purpose of loving and caring for all people.
Ivan commented that "Looking into the eyes of another person and seeing Christ looking back at you when they say, "Can you help me" changes everything."
January 2012 - Our New Office Administrator Lydia Litchfield
Was born in Biggar, Sask. first daughter to Peter & Mary Lemky.
She attended Medstead Central School (Sept/60 to June/68). The family moved from the farm to North Battleford in the summer of 1968. Because her father was still of the belief that girls didn't need secondary education, she was prohibited to continue with High School and attended the Foursquare Gospel Bible Institute directed by Revs. Bud & Evelyn Chartier in North Battleford in the former Parkland Chapel building. She graduated June 1971, and at this time, her father decided that times had changed so she was permitted to persue her highschool education with the co-operation of Social Services & Canada Employment counsellors. To complete her Grades 11 & 12, she was required to leave North Battleford; she moved to Regina and completed her GED 12 in June 1972. She continued on in Regina and attended a Canada Employment Program (S.I.A.A.S.T.) towards a Secretarial certificate. After completing this, she moved to the West Coast (BC) where she met her husband, Peter Litchfield, married on April 12, 1975, in White Rock. They are the parents of three married daughters and five grandchildren. Peter and Lydia were ordained by Don Gossett Ministries in 1993, after working in his ministry office in both Blaine, WA & Surrey, BC. They are now Pastors of Hosanna Life Center North Battleford Inc. & members of Christian Ministers Association which is Denominational and Non Denominational. Lydia left her position as Office Administrator of St. Paul's on February 14th 2013.